The following is a collection of recent San Jose beer news and a list of craft beer events in San Jose and the greater South Bay for the upcoming week and beyond.
Recent Beer News
- Strike Brewing Company announced last week that their first non-session beers, an IPA (~5.5% ABV) and Imperial Red (~6.5% ABV), will land on store shelves later this month.
- Online voting for BeerCity USA 2012 is now taking place, and among the 31 cities on the ballot, the combined “city” of “San Francisco/Oakland – Bay Area” is the closest to San Jose. Because many South Bay beer fans make visits to various craft beer establishments in S.F. and the East Bay, those wishing to vote are likely to vote for this area. That said, it is interesting to wonder when San Jose will begin making the ballots of beer surveys such as this one.
Beer Events: The Week Ahead
- Mon., May 7, 2012, 6 p..m. – 8 p.m.: San Jose’s Wine Affairs Beer Tasting with Organic Bison Organic. “Think organic beers aren’t as flavorful? Then you haven’t tried Bison! $12/person or FREE for members.”
- Tues., May 8, 2012, 4 p.m. – closing: Mix-It-Up 4 Mini Burger & Beer Pairings at The Counter in Santana Row, including Devil’s Canyon Full Boar Scotch Ale and Lagunitas IPA.
- Wed., May 9, 2012, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Blues & $2 Brews: Stone Brewing night at Poor House Bistro. 91 South Autumn Street, 408-292-5837.
- Thurs., May 10, 2012, starting at special time 3:30 p.m.: Pint night at Harry’s Hofbrau in San Jose features a Stone Brewing Tap Takeover. Check the Harry’s Hofbrau Facebook page for updates. 390 Saratoga Ave., 408-243-0434. “We will be pouring some limited release brews from Stone Brewing San Diego! We will have their Double Dry Hopped Ruination IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Vanilla bean smoked porter, Pale ale, and Arrogant bastard. The rep from the brewery will be here, a stone glass will be included with the beer price, free appetizers at 6:30pm. This will be a really great event, hope to see you there and for all our Thursday pint nights!”
- Thurs., May 10, 2012, starting at 6 p.m.: $2 Pint night at Jack’s Bar & Lounge in Japantown. Check the Jack’s Bar & Lounge Facebook page for updates. 167 East Taylor St., 408-287-5225.
- Fri., May 11, 2012, BevMo! stores host weekly Beer Tasting events on Fridays. Check your local BevMo! store for details.
Looking Ahead: Save the Date
- Thurs., May 17, 2012, starting at 6:00 p.m.: Pint night at Harry’s Hofbrau in San Jose features Hop 15 from Port Brewing (11% IPA and very limited). Check the Harry’s Hofbrau Facebook page for updates. 390 Saratoga Ave., 408-243-0434.
- Sat., June 9, 2012: Monterey Beer Festival. South Bay breweries, including Firehouse, Tied House, Hermitage Brewing, and Strike Brewing are expected to participate in this beerfest.
- Sat., June 16, 2012, 2 p.m. – 7 p.m.: Los Gatos Brewing Company Firkin Fest at San Pedro Square, San Jose. “LGB Firkin Fest requires admission and admission includes: entry in to tasting event, 5 oz souvenir glass and tasting tokens to taste beer from 10+ breweries. admission will vary …depending on how many tokens selected. Non-tasting admission will also be available. Open to guest 21+ with a valid ID.
– $17 admission includes 5oz souvenir glass, 5 tokens
– $20 admission includes 5oz souvenir glass, 8 tokens
– More tokens will be available for purchase inside event!
– MORE INFO TO COME…”
- Sat., June 30, 2012, 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: 3rd Annual Santa Cruz Hop N’ Barley Festival, Scotts Valley.
- Sat., July 21, 2012, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.: Summer KraftBrew Beer Fest 2012.
[This post was shared on Examiner.com.]