Oktoberfest in Munich officially ended this past Sunday, but there are still celebrations set to take place in the South Bay, providing additional opportunities to bond over, among other facets, traditional German beer.
Downtown San Jose’s San Pedro Square Market pays tribute to Oktoberfest all afternoon and evening this Saturday, October 12 from 12 p.m. to midnight. Admission is free, and kids are welcome.
There will be German beers on tap and in bottles to go along with German-inspired menu items from participating restaurants. There will also be contests and activities, including best-dressed in Oktoberfest style, stein hoisting, and Dachshund Wiener dog races.
Event curator Mariah Giunta shares that this Oktoberfest event represents the vision of San Pedro Square Market co-founder John McEnery IV and partners Martin Menne and Tom McEnery. “John was inspired when he attended Oktoberfest in Munich and experienced the large community coming together in celebration and revelry.”
The following provides more of some of the particulars:
German Beer Menu
- Weihenstephaner Oktoberfest, Hefe, Original Lager and Pilsner on tap
- Erdinger Oktoberfest and Dunkel Weisse on tap
- Paulaner Oktoberfest and Premium Pilsner on tap
- A variety of bottled German beer from Market Beer Company
To purchase tickets good for liter steins branded with the Market Oktoberfest logo to include a one-liter pour of a German beer from the beer garden ($30 for a single ticket and $25 if purchased in a pack of six), please visit the Eventbrite page for this event.
German-Inspired Food Menu
- Calidog will be serving hot Brat & Sauerkraut dogs
- Robee’s Falafel will be serving sausage skewers with German potato salad
- Treatbot will be serving handcrafted German chocolate ice cream
- Vino Vino will be serving Gugelhupf cake with whip cream and fresh strawberries
- Chocatoo will be serving Black Forest cupcakes and Kirsche chocolate truffles
- Bray Butcher Block & Bistro will be serving pork Schnitzel and Spaetzle
- Sama Zama will be serving handcrafted warm pretzels
- Pizza Bocca Lupo will be serving sizzling sausage, Pancetta and Sauerkraut pizza drizzled with brown spicy mustard
- Little Chef will be serving German potato pancakes with green Brussels sprouts
- On A Roll will be serving German meatballs on a stick
- Loteria Taco Bar will be serving Gemuse Gebraten also known as deep fried pickles or frickles
- Phonomenal will be serving Oktoberfest sausage rolls
- Konjoe will be serving juicy Currywurst burgers
According to Mariah, look for this inaugural Oktoberfest event at San Pedro Square Market to become an annual festival.
[This post was shared on Examiner.com.]